'>

Friday, August 3, 2012

Quick trip to DC

Kyle and I went on an impromptu four day trip to DC in the middle of June.  I don't think we could ever get enough of that place.  From Georgetown, to Capitol Hill, to Mount Vernon, we equally enjoy soaking up all of the history that is not in short supply.  And a trip to our Nation's Capitol is most certainly in our kids' future.  We wish we could take Jaden now, but we'll wait until all three kids will benefit from the same trip.  However, we couldn't help but daydream about our eventual trip while there recently; curious about what sites might peak our kids' interests more than others as we expose them to as much as we can cram in. 

A big thanks to mom for saving the day by flying in to tend the kids.  It was a win win for us, of course, because we got away while our kids got my mom's undivided attention.  I think we'll just have to come up with more excuses to fly her in so we can have her all to ourselves.  It's so hard to share her with soo many siblings, spouses and grandkids when we all get together.  Thanks mom!

We loved the new MLK memorial.  Kyle took over playing photographer as you can see in the pics below.  I didn't know he had such an artistic eye.  Maybe I've just never given him the chance as it's rare that you get that camera off of my neck and out of my clutches.  It was a great memorial with multiple profound quotes of MLK's.  I loved it.  





The last day of our trip was spent in Georgetown, eating fine meals and hitting up the National Cathedral.  It's a favorite of mine and Kyle hadn't been so we spent a good while there, even napping under tree shade during DC's record breaking heat.  Heat that we scoffed at because we are from the deep south and we paid no mind to it.  Mostly, we enjoyed the luxury of lying directly on top of the soft grass without a care in the world for fire ants.  Such a simple pleasure in life that I really do miss for me and my kids.
 

A piece of the moon sits in this stain glass setting.  It's the small dot within the largest circle of the three circles.  It was brought back by the crew of Apollo 11.  I believe one of the crew members attended the National Cathedral private school.
 Sitting in what is always the President's spot (not nessecarily chair) for any event he (and surely someday, she) attends in the Cathedral.  

 A very scenic run from the Washington Monument, to the Capitol, to the Lincoln Memorial.

No comments: