'>

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Book Fair Baby


This whiteboard hangs in the library of my kids' Elementary School.  I was there today reading with a couple of little girls when it, once again, caught my attention.  I finally had the thought to snap a picture.  Actually, I got Ty to take it just before we had lunch together on the stage.

Three years ago last month, I was 9 months pregnant with Reese.  I was also volunteering for the school's book fair and I was assigned the after school shift.  About an hour into the shift I started having contractions. As they became stronger I had a willing 5th grade student (whose name I can't remember) time each contraction while I was sitting at a table beneath the whiteboard playing cashier.  Needless to say, she used the whiteboard to record my contractions.  Finally, at about 5:00 o'clock, when my contractions were near 5 minutes apart, the librarian insisted that I go home.  I don't know why I hadn't convinced myself of leaving before that point.  I must have been in labor-denial.  Reese was born at 8:47 p.m.  Fittingly, the Librarian dubbed Reese the "Book Fair Baby."

No comments: